In this article, we will find out how to download and install a VMWare unlocker for macOS on Windows. By downloading a VMWare unlocker you can remove VMWare’s limitation and create an environment where you can test your macOS.
VMware or “virtual machine” ware is a technology with which businesses can run multiple applications with different operating systems on a single server. This allows for better utilization of resources and reduces IT costs significantly. The flexibility of the computing environment gets a boost with VMware using various constraints, partitioning, and scheduling. This way organizations can get the most out of their investments in resources and hardware.
Benefits and Features of VMWare
VMWare creates a virtual machine on the server which acts exactly like an actual machine. VMWare can benefit new businesses immensely in growing their business in a short span of time. Amongst its many benefits, the key ones are listed below:
- Businesses can get more efficient with VMWare as it enables them to manage resources better.
- With VMWare, multiple applications and operating systems can run on the same server.
- Different applications can run on their own Windows in a VMWare.
- An IT person can install as many OS and software of its choice on the virtual machine and each of them gets stored as a separate file.
- You can install and test different software on a VMWare without affecting the actual machine.
- You can also run software on a virtual machine that may not be compatible with the software installed on your actual computer. For example, you have a macOS but there is software that can run only on Windows. You can easily do this by installing Windows on a virtual machine on the same computer.
- VMWare is safe since all you need to do is delete and install a new version in case a problem occurs. Your physical system remains operational under all circumstances.
- You can test new patches and updates in the safe environment of VMWare before deploying them on physical systems.
- With virtualization, you can spread the work to underutilized servers.
- VMWare speeds up performance and minimizes downtime.
- Virtualization is highly scalable as an extra server can be added to it on a needs basis without investing extra time or money.
What is a VMWare Unlocker?
A VMWare unlocker is a small lightweight software (a series of python codes) that is designed to run on CMD command prompt and can install many different versions of macOS like macOS Catalina 10.15, macOS High Sierra 10.13, macOS X, macOS Mojave 10.14, and macOS X EL on a VMWare Workstation Pro on Windows 7 or 10.
VMWare pro or player unlocker is important since without it you can not run these different macOS versions on Windows as the VMWare workstation players do not have an option to select the macOS option by default. VMWare does not support (restricts) macOS on any of VMWare versions whether it is workstation, fusion, or player. Once you have the VMWare unlocker installed on the workstation, you will be able to see various options for the different macOS versions on the workstation player.
The VMWare Unlocker is a handy tool that replaces a few files like vmwarebase.so, VMware-vmx, vmwarebase.dll, etc., and patches macOS installation settings and features (booting, options, installation settings) into the VMWare. VMWare unlocker can also download a copy of the latest version of tools for using macOS on VMWare if needed. As a result, when you run the patch you will be able to see the settings which have been integrated into VMware and easily install any macOS version on VMware without any restrictions.
VMware Unlocker Download for macOS
You need to remove restrictions on VMware if you wish to install any of the macOS versions. To do this let us go through the steps involved:
- Before you get started with the process, close the VMware workstation and ensure it is not working in the background.
- Take a backup of your data as there is a chance of losing your data while installing the VMware unlocker.
- Back up your VMware program folder as well since running the patch may replace existing files.
- You would now need to download the VMware unlocker files for macOS.
- Right-click on the zip file to extract it into a folder of your choice.
- You would find a file named win-install.cmd in the extracted files list. Right-click this file and select “Run as administrator”
- As the win install is running, it opens up the command prompt. The process will stop VMware services, copy necessary files, and then start the VMware services again. You need to wait till the whole process is over and the command prompt closes automatically.
- Your patching is done now! At this stage, you must check if the patching has been successful. To do this:
- Launch Vmware.
- Now press Ctrl + N or select the option to Create a New Virtual Machine
- Click Next On the first new virtual machine configuration page.
- On the next dialog box select the option to install the operating system later and click on the “Next” button.
- In the next screen, you should be able to see various options for installing the different versions of the Mac operating system.
Q1. What are the other operating systems where macOS virtual machines can be set up using a VMware unlocker?
macOS virtualization can be achieved on VM workstations running on many Linux distributions for example Linux Mint, Ubuntu, and Debian.
Q2. Are there any hardware requirements to install macOS on VMware?
If you want to create a virtual machine with macOS Sierra or macOS Mojave then you must have a machine with 4 GB RAM and dual processors. It is also recommended to go to the virtual machine settings and enable virtualization while installing macOS.
Q3. How can I install a VMWare unlocker on a Linux machine?
To create and use a macOS virtual machine on Linux, you would first need to install the lnx-install.sh file in the same folder.
- Shut down or stop the services of the VMWare workstation by running the following commands in the command window:
- sudo /etc/init.d/vmware-tools start
- sudo /etc/init.d/vmware-tools stop
- sudo /etc/init.d/vmware-tools restart
- Now open the terminal and access root in your Linux OS.
- You would need to edit the permissions of the lnx-install.sh file with the command “chmod + x lnx-install.sh file”
- Next, start the installation process with the following commands
- sudo ./lnx-install.sh – This will configure the workstation settings.
- sudo lnx-uninstall.sh – This will uninstall or restore the workstation settings.
- sudo lnx-update-tools.sh – This will download the latest tools for macOS guest VM
Q4. What are the different types of virtualizations?
There are mainly 5 types of virtualizations:
- Desktop virtualization – The host server runs the virtual machine with the use of a software program called a hypervisor.
- Application virtualization – This is the method of installing an application on a central machine or server that can virtually run on different virtual machines.
- Server virtualization – In this process, the resources of a single physical server are partitioned into multiple virtual servers.
- Network virtualization – With network virtualization, one can treat the entire network as a single administrative entity for monitoring and managing purposes.
- Storage virtualization – In this, the storage of many network storage devices is pooled to appear as a single storage device.
Conclusion: VMware Workstation macOS Unlocker Download
If you wish to install any version of macOS on VMware on Windows, you first need to download and install a VMware unlocker. Virtualization gives your business the power to run different OS and applications on a single server which helps in saving time, money, and resources.